Wednesday, July 1, 2009

1st Three Weeks in Moldova


Well, it’s been 3 weeks since I arrived in Moldova and I am finally getting down to starting my blog.  I have officially been in the Peace Corps for over 23 days and I can say that I have had a great time so far.  I have met great people here in Moldova, through the Peace Corps and in my village and I must say that I have nothing bad to say about them or the experience thus far. 

 

The group of  COD (Community Organizational Development) volunteers that I with live in the small town of Vasiene, Moldova.  We spend most of our days learning Romanian and learning more about our future assignments.  Most of us seem to be adjusting to the other side of the planet quite well. The lack of running water and inside WC facilities really only affected us the first few days after we arrived.  I can say that I have no problem with the WC being outside or squatting for that matter.  I am still getting used to the fact that I walk past roosters, multiple chickens and ducks and one big ass turkey to reach the WC.  But in time, I am sure that will become the norm.

 

In little less than a week we will all find out our perminate assignments.  This will include the new city/village that we will be living in and the kind of organization we will be partnered up with for the next 24 months.  All of us are excited and anxious to get this week over with so we can get our assignments.  But I know that I have become close to many of the PSTs (Peace Corps Trainees) that I am in Vasiene with and I will be sad to see the day we have to split up.  We have become each other’s supports systems and will count the days down until we see each other again. 

 

On a more American note, we have all been invited to celebrate the 4th of July by the American Camber of Commerce here in Moldova.  It’s a party American style, with a pool, barbeque and drinks at a golf course.   Any other American that is working in the area for a government division will also be there.  I heard that last year was a blast and we are all looking forward to having a good time.

If any of you are interested in seeing pictures from my adventures so far please visit: 

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=103855&id=569816376&l=a5d9cfe7c4


That’s all for now folks.  I hope that you all are well and take care this holiday weekend.  Be safe!

 

Hugs and kisses to you all!

 

Jen

 



Disclaimer:   The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps. 

8 comments:

  1. Looks like you've adjusted well! I don't know if I could handle the outside WC. Have a great time! I look forward to following your adventures. Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gracias Jen for your update! I am very proud of you and look forward to hearing more... enjoy the party and keep up with the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom and I are very proud of the choice you've made to join the PC. We hope that the experience is all that you hoped it would be and that you will make lots of new friends, work mates and Moldovans. We wish the best for your and love you!
    Moms and Pops

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jen, This is Mike Hicks from Florida, I have a cousin who is in the Peace Corp, she is married to a Peace Corp Member, and together they go places and do whatever it is you people do. Good to hear you are doing something that allows you to see things while your young that you may never see again.
    Enjoy your stay make lasting friends. Hope all is Good!
    God Bless You - Your friends in Florida, Mike Hicks & Family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike, it is great to hear from you, thanks for the comment. take care Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always you make me proud.........keep up the great work and let us know what we back in civilization can do to make things better :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was relieved to read the Disclaimer, which certifies that your comments are not the official position of the U.S. Government. :)


    before you left, were you able to connect with former PCer Laura Kraemer of Colorado?

    What time zone are you in?

    Uncle Mark in California

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jen: It was great to hear from you. Your mom and dad have been keeping me updated. Things here in FA are pretty good. I just returned from visit to Steamboat Springs CO. Please know that I love you and will keep in touch. Karen

    ReplyDelete