Sunday, July 26, 2009

12 Days Left….

Well, we just finished week 6 and we are heading into the final stretch of our PST training.  In a mere 12 days we ship out to our respective assignments and begin our official Peace Corps service.  I know that I am anxious to begin this next phase of PC life and I am also really looking forward to getting back to work with my new host site/partner. 

These last two weeks can be compared to a rollercoaster, a mixed bag of emotions, stressors and delights.  We completed our 2nd language assessment and passed with flying colors as they say.  There are rumors that this assessment is just prep for the longer more taxing one that comes in week 8 of PST and if that is true I cannot imagine how difficult that will be.  The assessment is something that most of us are not looking forward too, but keen to be done with.





Between the studying and learning more about our jobs some of us managed to have some free time and enjoy ourselves a bit.  Last week we visited the largest wine cellar in the world, which happens to be just a few miles from where we study.  The winery is called Milestii Mici and is really interesting.  It spans over 200 kms under neath the city of Milestii Mici and has been there for almost 40 years.  Please see some of the pictures I took, along with others from my host family visit at:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=111294&id=569816376&l=46135f516d 

 

 



And now that I have mentioned my new host family I will tell you just a bit more about them.  I will be living with a retired couple for the next two years and I could not be happier to be placed with them.  They have a wonderful home and garden (more like 2 acres of pears, peaches, grapes and other assorted yummies) that sits near the Nistru River.  It is a beautiful place and I believe I will be really taken care of there.  Plus there are 3 puppies and 2 kittens, so what more could one ask for?!  I even get to name one of the puppies after Charlie, my cat back in the states, if I want too. 

 

In the weeks ahead we are working hard to get more language under our belts and finish up PST.  We are also working on a project for the host family farewell party that is on August 7th.  This project might include singing and dancing to traditional Moldovan music, but that would be spilling the beans.  Let’s just say if you know me really well, that singing and dancing are not my forte and it should be interesting!

 

On another interesting note, the Moldova elections are this week.  Please keep an eye out on the news for results.

 

I hope you all are enjoying the summer, please give each other hugs and kisses from me.

 

Take care and be safe!

 

JJ



DISCLAIMER: 

The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps. 

2 comments:

  1. It sounds as tho you are having a wonderful time and I am very happy that your host family is so great. Speaking of puppies I myself have gotten a new one, his name is Mookie and he is a rescue Yorkshire Terrier who is a darling and driving poor Lady nuts. Take care and keep up the post and pics they are great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are really anxious for you to begin the next phase of your participation in the Peace Corps venture. We wish we could be there for your swearing in ceremony! We will keep tabs on the election on Wednesday and hope that Moldova heads a bit to the right of communism.
    Anyhow, we hope the next week or so goes well and that your trip to Tudora and your new host family, and Charlie, will go well!
    Mom and Pops

    ReplyDelete